Re: [ft-devel] Variable fonts: hhea/typo/win metrics interpreted differe

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Variable fonts: hhea/typo/win metrics interpreted differently for instances compared to static fonts?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:30:03 -0500

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 8:43 AM Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> There's also the question of whether MVAR tags should apply to
> whatever was used for ascent/descent.  I think yes.  And I'll
> implement that in HB.

What would you do when

1. the typo metrics are modified by the MVAR table

If Typo exists, that's what MVAR tags are applied to.

2. win metrics are modified
3. both are modified

The thinking within the working group was that no one uses win metrics, so we didn't encode their variations.  Indeed, the only time one uses them these days is if typo and hhea metrics are not set...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/