[ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: Yash Khasbage
Subject: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:00:08 +0530

Hi
I want to work on your project titled "Replace FreeType's tracing and debugging facilities with an external logging library". You have mentioned that there are platforms where stderr is not accessible. Can you give me an example of such a platform?
Anyways, a simple solution to an inaccessible stderr is to print log messages directly into a file. Our code will work independently of whether stderr is accessible or not. There is a library "zlog" - https://github.com/HardySimpson/zlog supporting logging into a file. It is similar to log4j and log4cpp. It has pretty good features. Its documentation is good, it is well maintained and is licensed under LGPL-v2.1. A windows version is also available for it. According to me, zlog will serve the purpose.
Can you elaborate on what are your exact targets in this project? Does the project only aim for "platforms with inaccessible stderr"? Can you explain me some difficulties we may face? If you feel zlog is suitable for this project, I want to start contributing to freetype in gsoc as well.
Thank You
Yash