Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Logging library proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:15:22 -0000

>> Well, as far as I can see, it's exactly as Armin described the
>> situation: people insert `printf' statements for debugging.  And the
>> final code usually missed important debugging calls...
>
> How does that justify adding new logging library or changing the current
> logger code? That sounds more like current tracing statements should be
> improved.

May I ask you, Dmitry, what are your concerns with introducing an external
logger?  Obviously, the goal is to improve the overall situation for
everyone or (at least) keep things equally fine as they are at the moment.
Following our discussion here, it seems to me as if changes would affect you
negatively which should (obviously) be avoided.  Necessity aside (who cares
if it's necessary if someone else does it (properly) and it has no negative
effect on anyone), what are negative consequences for you personally or for
FreeType in general and how can they be avoided/tackled/justified/eased?

@Yash: sorry for spamming your thread, but it seems as if you question has
sparked some conversation here :P