getting outline data of a specified point size

From: Tamito KAJIYAMA
Subject: getting outline data of a specified point size
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:39:59 +0900

Hi,

I have a question on the usage of the FreeType library.

Background: I'm writing a plug-in script for Sketch, a drawing
program written in Python (http://sketch.sourceforge.net/).
The script reads TrueType fonts using FreeType, and generates
Bezier polygon objects that represent characters of a specified
point size.  Thus, I'm using FreeType to read outline data from
font files.

The script has a problem that the characters represented by
Bezier polygon objects always become larger than ones expected.

The outline data is read by specifying 72 dpi in resolutions and
a desired point size (e.g. 12 points):

  TT_Set_Instance_Resolutions(instance, 72, 72);
  TT_Set_Instance_CharSize(instance, 12 * 62);

However, the size of resulting outlines seems larger than 12
points.  Why?  How can I get the outline data of a specified
point size?  Any comments are very appreciated.

Thanks,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <address@hidden>