Re: Font names

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Font names
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:30:15 +0200

Hidetoshi Yamano-uchi wrote:

> From: Antoine Leca <address@hidden>
>
> > - for the platform Microsoft (id=3), all encoding seem to be 16-bit
>
> It is not correct.
>
> For example, the Microsoft "Shift_JIS" encoding (PlatformID=3,
> EncodingID=2), it is not a wide-charcter encoding set, but a multibyte
> encoding set.  It uses 8-bit(JIS X0201) and 16-bit(JIS X0208) in the
> same name table.

I certainly lacks experience with CJK fonts, and Yamano-uchi-san is
much more an expert that I am on these matters.

However, my first impression was exactely like Yamano-uchi-san, but to
be sure I checked with some old Windows 3.1 Chinese and Korean fonts.
To much of my surprise (and pain), I found the characters encoded as
wide characters, that is all as 16-bits, including space (so with an
embeeded '\0')... So I did not search wider and wrote the above line.

The bottom line is that both SJIS and EUC-xx (DBCS 8/16-bit, as described
by Yamanoi-uchi-san) *and* uniform 16-bit wide characters appear to exist.
Consequently, robust code may have to take care of that.

Antoine