rasterization weirdness with Skurri.TTF?

From: Jeff Chow
Subject: rasterization weirdness with Skurri.TTF?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:38:39 -0800

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at Skurri.TTF (http://rover.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~kikita/s.htm)
and am having trouble understanding some of the metrics that are returned.

First of all, the yMax and yMin values for the face's bounding box are 988
and
-306, respectively. That would mean that the tallest glyph for the entire
face
would be 1294/64 (or 20.22) font units tall.
However, as I'm loading glyphs from the face, I see that the 'l' (lowercase
L) glyph
(among others) has a height of 1794/64 (28.03), which is far greater than
the
bounding box height of the entire face!

I can see why someone would design a font that's greater than the height
(asc+desc+lead)
of the face, but why would the face's bounding box not report this height?
Isn't the bounding box supposed to enclose all glyphs? It seems weird to me
that
it isn't consistent with some of the letters in the face.

Any advice appreciated,
Jeff