[Freetype] (no subject)

From: George Petrov Georgiev
Subject: [Freetype] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:58:51 +0200

    Hi all,

Is there anybody who can give me an advice?

I have encoutered the following problem :

    freetype is too slow for direct rendering of each char in the text,
without any chaching.
    I think that 300-1500 char/sec. (depending on size and font compexity)
on Pentium III 500 is extremly slow. I really need 2-3 grades higher
performance becouse my text rendering isn't the only proccess on CPU, but if
even it is, I can see screen blinking within render/blitting operation.

1 or 2 seconds  rendering time of one screen full of 1500-2000 chars is
pretty much for me : ).

I can spend 10~15Mb for  glyph->bitmap cache for gaining 20-30 times faster
text layouting. Is this a dream? I think that itsn't :). Don't ask me why I
don't  render all needed fonts and sizes in advance, if and I want to have a
so fast engine :).

If someone have any idea and/or experience with rendered glyphs chaching
(and software chacheing at all), I'll be very obligated to him/her.