Re: [Freetype] Problem with demos on X11; Text layout question

From: Laboratory for Micro Enterprise
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Problem with demos on X11; Text layout question
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:19:24 +0000

Thanks for your response Werner. Demo problem resolved: I was executing an
older version of ftstring on my Suse Linux system. Should have done ./ftstring,
not plain ftstring!

Thanks for the ICU pointer. What is the status of your planned Freetype layout
library? Is this being discussed somewhere?

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> > I'm new to freetype.  I'm using 2.0.1 on X11 (Linux, KDE), playing
> > with the demos. The graphics subsystem doesn't respond to many of
> > the key events used in ftstring.c. I presume this is a known
> > problem, but I haven't found anything about it in the mailing list
> > archive. All I can do is turn hinting on and off, and scale up and
> > down. I'd like to be able to play with the other controls.
> Type `?' to see the available controls.  With Linux under fvwm this
> works OK for me,
> > I'm interested in developing a free xml editor using freetype. Does
> > anyone have any pointers to a free WYSIWYG text layout library or
> > algorithms which might serve as a starting point?
> The FreeType text layout library is not yet done, unfortunately.  For
> complex scripts, the best you can try is Eric Mader's layout engine
> for ICU:
>    The LayoutEngine code can be used without the rest of ICU.  The
>    code is in <icu archive>/source/layout
>      Werner
John Storrs, Laboratory for Micro Enterprise
8 The Green, Culham, Abingdon OX14 4LZ, UK
tel/fax (44) 01235 520395  email address@hidden