Re: [Freetype] pixel size - diacritics

From: Ed Keith
Subject: Re: [Freetype] pixel size - diacritics
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 10:41:01 -0700

Hi Wallace,

Three words: "Remember the diacritics"

Typographic point size typically relates to the EM size height for numeric and
uppercase characters such as A, B, C, 1, 9, etc.  Many fonts however include
characters with diacritic accents that extend above the point size character
height, examples: A,Å, E,Ê, O,Õ, etc.  Diacritic accents extend above the EM
size and require that the pixel height of the font be larger than simply the
point size height for numerics and uppercase characters.  Unfortunately until
the font is opened there is no way (that I know of) to tell the actual pixel
height of a font with elements such as diacritics that extend outside the base
EM square size.

Hope this helps...
Ed