RE: [Freetype] Help with kerning troubles?

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: RE: [Freetype] Help with kerning troubles?
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:45:25 -0500

At 4:22 PM -0800 11/1/01, Steve Johnson wrote:
I've only tried this with Truetype so far.  I'm loading fonts from a
file.  I've seen the problem on both our platforms...Win2K and Solaris.

        Good to know it's consistant!

I'm  using using FreeType 2.0.3, but I just downloaded 2.0.5 and tried
my code with that version and I get the same behavior.

        And also that the version doesn't matter. Thanks for trying that!

Specifically, I'm currently looking at the "Av" combination using
Microsoft's standard Arial font.  I pulled down a font editor that let
me see the kerning values.  The value for this pair is -37.

        Sounds about right.

 I can see
that this value is coming in properly and being used in what seem like
reasonable calculations to come up with the final offset value.  All
seems well except that the offset isn't visually correct.

        What is the offset that you are getting then?   You are
saying that the value is read in correct from the file, but that when
you query the kerning tables, you get the wrong values?

Leonard
                  You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol                       Internet:       address@hidden
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
Coola Signature: <http://signature.coola.com/address@hidden>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65