Re: [Freetype] Re: PANOSE, and other ways to map fonts correctly

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: PANOSE, and other ways to map fonts correctly
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:38:39 -0500

At 11:54 AM 11/19/2001 +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
It's rather easy to implement basic HTML support (a-la widget) - for example,
Slashdot allows HTML postings with some number of tags.

Yes, basic HTML is easy. As soon as you add tables, it gets difficult!

Difficult part is to get support for real-world web sites, most of which are
completely broken and do not validate (as Valid HTML/or XHTML or XML) at all.

        Yup!

Probably major reason why Apple killed CyberDog was this one.
(and the same is valid for Sun's HotJava browser)

        One of many reasons, I suspect...

But AFAIK neither PageMaker nor Adobe InDesign nor Photoshop have HTML
viewing components.

        Correct - but they don't need them either...

I am subscribed to mozilla-layout and www-style lists, and I see no postings
from Adobe people on both these lists.

As I said, they have gone back and forth on the issue. I know that when I was at Adobe, there were some teams that were looking at the Mozilla sources for ideas/thought - and even some folks who had made changes. But they were waiting on how legal wanted to deal with things...

As far as www-style/CSS, last I checked there was an Adobe person sitting on the committee (Steve Gilles, I think). They are well represented on most/all of the major W3C standards bodies.

So, taking into consideration these facts, I guess that they are not very
interested in Open Standards evolving.

EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE! Look at SVG, for example, which (kind of) came out of Adobe and has been chaired by an Adobe person since day one! They are also the only company to have a viable SVG viewer.

(and that's quite understandable knowning the fact that Macromedia owns
Flash, widely used on web.

        Which is why MM doesn't really care (IMHO) about open standards.

Adove, incontrast, supports SVG - but just to get
market share from Macromedia)

SVG (and it's predecessor PGML) have been around since BEFORE Flash - it just takes longer to formalize an open standard than a closed one.

| But it may be that these days the Open Source licenses may be getting in
| the way again.

Do you know something I don't know?  :-)

        Yes, having worked at Adobe!

Just my opinion:
While Microsoft is the major (and biggest) company to be affected by Open
Source projects, it is not the only one. Other software companies will be
affected as well, Adobe in particular (I guess you know KIllustrator/Kontour
story...).

        Open Source and Open Standards are two VERY DIFFERENT things...

Leonard