Re: [Freetype] Which kinds of fonts work better with FreeType: TrueType

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Which kinds of fonts work better with FreeType: TrueType or PostScript?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:17:51 +0100

Hello Paul,

"Pedriana, Paul" a écrit :

> Which kinds of fonts work better with FreeType: TrueType or PostScript?
>
> I am considering making a small font (Western character set only) and
> this font would be created with Pyrus FontLab and drawn in my app with
> FreeType. Would it make a difference if I created a PostScript vs. a TrueType
> font?  What aspects of font creation (e.g. the kind of hinting present) and
> FreeType might affect the differences?

First answer:

  don't use the Type 1 format !! It is crummy, inelegant and extremely
  limited by design. You'll thus have to choose between TrueType or
  OpenType (i.e. OpenType/CFF), whcih FontLab handles cleanly now I
  believe..

Second answer:

  The hinting technology in these two format is very different. It is
  difficult for now to recommend one or the other with FreeType,
  especially if you don't want to use TrueType bytecodes.

  My guess is that you should first try to produce an unhinted font
  to see what the FreeType auto-hinter does with it. If the result
  isn't satisfying, try OpenType/CFF since it's much easier to hint
  and should (supposidly) allow better rendering.

  And if you don't find that sufficient, then use TrueType hints
  and wait for 8 years that the Apple patent expires :o)

  As a hint, the auto-hinter performs pretty well with sans-serifed
  fonts. For serifed one, it's still another story though it may be
  possible to improve this in the future (read, a ___loong future
  though ;-)

  In both cases, you're also welcomed to use embedded bitmaps if
  you can, since both formats support them.. And of course, OpenType
  Layout tables would be an incredible bonus, though FreeType 2 itself
  doesn't support them itself for now..

Hope this helps,

- David