[Freetype] gsf segv in freetype2?

From: Gernot Hillier
Subject: [Freetype] gsf segv in freetype2?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:51:30 +0100

Hi!

Sorry if this is a FAQ but I've browsed the docs, google & the mailinglist
archives and haven't found anything about this problem...

First of all: I'm a complete novice concerning fonts, Xft, libfreetype,
gsf-files and so on - I only enjoy the pretty AA rendering - but I hope
you'll understand me nevertheless... ;)

I use KDE 2.2.2 under Linux / Xfree 4.1.0 with AA enabled. I've played a
little bit with my font settings and added the dir
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW to my XftConfig file, which is (at least in SuSE
systems) a link to /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts. Suddenly all KDE apps
crashed when I tried to start them. :-((

As I'm a beta tester for SuSE I told them the problem and they replied that
libfreetype has some problems regarding gsf-Files causing all apps to crash
with SEGV.

Now I've looked around a bit and found a patch included in the PLD-RPMs of
libfreetype2. I've attached it to this mail. It's for 2.0.4 but they seem to
apply it to all versions up to and including 2.0.6.

I wanted to ask if this problem and the patch is already known - and if
this bug will be corrected in future versions of libfreetype. Or is it just a
dirty hack and the problem lies elsewhere (not at libfreetype?). I've seen
that some parts of the routines have changed in the CVS but I'm not sure if
this will correct the problem...

As far as I've understood, libfreetype has nothing to do with gsf-files - but
it crashes when trying to read them. Would it be possible to make libfreetype
recognize that it reads a gsf-file and stop trying to interprete it?

Ok, enough theories - now I ask the people who know more about the stuff I'm
trying to talk about ;)

--
Ciao,

Gernot