Re: [Freetype] FT_Attach_File, .afm, .pfa, .pfb, etc

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [Freetype] FT_Attach_File, .afm, .pfa, .pfb, etc
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:56:20 -0400

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:17:43 +0100 (MET)
"Pavel Kankovsky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > - Does Freetype provide any support for opening/examining an AFM file?
>
> AFAIK, it does not. The problem you try to solve is beyond the scope of
> the library.

Ok, I understand.

> > - .afm or .pfm?
>
> I guess PFMs are fonts metrics in some more compact form. Ergo, PFM and
> AFM should be less or more equivalent and it would be pointless to attach
> them both. Anyway, I do not think FT2 supports PFM.

??..er.. The only reason that I asked (or that I even knew about PFM files)
was that I ran across it in the FreeType documentation.

Let's see.... "FreeType 2.0 Tutorial Step 2 - managing glyphs", section
3.c (Kerning).  It states that both AFM and PFM are valid files, and
implies (IMHO) that either may be used...
Perhaps it should be clarified...

> > - Should the afm file have the same name as the pfa/pfb file?
>
> Yes, they should have the same (base)name but it is a policy issue rather
> than a technical one.

Ok.
(It would sure make things easier if they were required to be in the same
directory, and to have the same file name, but I guess I'm probably
preaching to the choir here!)

Thanks for all the answers!
Ian