Re: [Freetype] Bad truetype rendering? still not satisfied!!

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Bad truetype rendering? still not satisfied!!
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:02:42 +0100

Robert Schelander a écrit :
> After comparing the results with an old freetype1 I'm
> again not really satisfied.
> Rendering of seperate letters is now more or less ok
> with activated bytecode interpreter, but spacing between
> ':' and '.' characters makes still not a good result. Look at
> the link and compare:
> Both examples use the same arial.ttf and a size of 12.

It seems that you didn't translate your text to _integer_ pixel
coordinates. Sub-pixel positioning is what causes the "blurr"
you're seeing..

Apart from that, I'm pretty certain that the glyphs are

> Is there another option that either everyone except me
> knows or nobody cares?
> Is freetype1 anyway better than freetype2 -  is freetype2 just
> another hack around some patents?
FreeType 2 and FreeType 1 should give identicial results when the
bytecode interpreter is activated..

The auto-hinter is a way to render text without the latter, and
it will generate slightly (and sometimes vastly) different

Hope this helps,

- David