Re: [Freetype] failed at the first hurdle

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] failed at the first hurdle
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:46:54 +0100

Hello,

Quentin Bennett a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I download freetype-2.0.7.tar.gz from one of the FTP mirrors, ungzip'd and
> untar'd it, and then....
>
> Is it
>
> ./configure; make; make install
>
> OR
>
> make [setup]; make; make install

Both should work and should be equivalent on a Unix
system.. I'd be very surprised if these two methods
don't give identical results..

> I tried option 2:
>
> freetype-2.0.7: make setup
>
> FreeType build system -- automatic system detection
>
> The following settings are used:
>
>   platform                    unix
>   compiler                    cc
>   configuration directory     ./builds/unix
>   configuration rules         ./builds/unix/unix.mk
>
> If this does not correspond to your system or settings please remove the
> file
> `config.mk' from this directory then read the INSTALL file for help.
>

> Otherwise, simply type `make' again to build the library.
>
> freetype-2.0.7: make
> config.mk:16: builds/unix/unix-def.mk: No such file or directory
> config.mk:17: builds/unix/unix-cc.mk: No such file or directory
> builds/freetype.mk:203: no file name for `include'
> make: *** No rule to make target `builds/unix/unix-cc.mk'.  Stop.
> freetype-2.0.7:

Hummm.. it seems that the configure script didn't work properly.
The files "unix-def.mk" and "unix-cc.mk" are normally generated
during the "configure" phase..

> Now, there are two things here :
>
> 1. It doesn't work - the files included in Makefile do not exist
> freetype-2.0.7: ls builds/unix
>
> aclocal.m4          freetype-config.in  install.mk          unix-lcc.mk
> config.guess        freetype2.m4        ltmain.sh           unix.mk
> config.sub          ft2unix.h           mkinstalldirs       unixddef.mk
> configure           ftconfig.in         unix-cc.in
> configure.ac        ftsystem.c          unix-def.in
> detect.mk           install-sh          unix-dev.mk
>
> freetype-2.0.7:
>
> 2. my compiler is not cc:
>
> freetype-2.0.7: which cc
>
> no cc in /usr/bin . /usr/local/bin /usr/openwin/bin /usr/local/mysql/bin
> /mercury/home/quentin/bin

On many Linux and BSD systems, 'cc' is an alias to 'gcc' (while it's
usually an alias to the vendor-specific C compiler on other platforms
like Sun or HP).

An alias is never spotted by the 'which' command.. you should try something
like 'cc --version' to see if a compiler is found..

Actually, I could understand configure's failure if there is no 'cc' present
on your system (be it an alias, a link or a program in itself). Note that
despite what the message prints, the build system will always use the
compiler detected by 'configure', not necessarily 'cc'

actually, it will even use libtool, so a compilation line should look
like:

    libtool --mode=compile gcc -c .....

A good way to get rid of any ambiguousity is to define the "CC" environment
variable before calling 'configure', like

  export CC=gcc
  ./configure <youroptions>
  make
  make install

> freetype-2.0.7: which gcc
>
> /usr/local/bin/gcc
>
> In fact, I have got a cc (Forte developer 5 or 6.2 on Solaris 2.6)

But it isn't in your path apparently.. Installation problem ??

Hope this helps,

- David Turner