Re: [Freetype] Patents

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Patents
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:50:31 +0400

On Friday 03 May 2002 10:59, Ian Brown wrote:
|  Just for information, I've been investigating licencing the required
| patents from Apple, and have been quoted $50,000 USD for a company licence
| and $25,000 for a single application licence.
|
|  They also seem open to discussing other licencing arrangements ... but
| this is the ballpark figure you will be looking at. (Prices are in USD).
|
|  Ian

Hello Ian!

If you are planning to use SanSerif fonts (without Serifs - Arial, Tahoma,
Verdana) - than you may want to go to FreeType 2.1.x with TrueType Bytecode
interpreter disabled.
PS Auto-Hinter in FT2 works great on those fonts (with few minor exceptions)

As about Serif (Times, Times New Roman) fonts:
You may want to check PostScript Type1, properly-hinted, fonts for this task.
They are displayed very well using FT 2.0.9 - even rather specific fonts
Minion and Nueva (from ATM) looks great on display.
So, you may want to take specific TTF font and convert to Type1 - results
would be betetr than using TTF directly.

Hope this info will be helpful for your project! :-)

P.S. As about licensing fees - they look rather high, if we take typical Linux
distribution. But of course prices are o.k. if you work for major
consumer-electronics company, like SONY or Philips.
This is my personal opinion.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)