Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Best approach to get anti-aliased font bitmaps?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 21:45:24 +0400

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 21:15, Pedriana, Paul wrote:
|  In asking for hand-tuned anti-aliased bitmaps, I am coming from
|  the computer game industry. In the game industry, we've used
|  such bitmapped fonts for years. That's what all the top-notch
|  game companies have done and that's what we did here with
|  "SimCity 3000" and "The Sims".

[...]
|     - Make a copycat version of "ComicSans.ttf". Not easy.
|       No conventional font house will do it, for fear of
|       retribution from Microsoft. So we'd have to do it
|       ourselves or find some kind of "rogue" font maker.

Interesting.
Are you from US, right?
Than AFAIK *outlines* are not copy-protected in US.

So, I see following steps:
* take ComicSans outlines (from TTF)
*  convert it to PostScript
* enhance it (as, for sure, that outline should have a lot of bugs!..)
* hint it as PostScript font, export to Type1

I recently did similar operation with Arial (for testing purposes)
It seems quality of rendering became even better!

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)