[Freetype] FreeType API extension request

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: [Freetype] FreeType API extension request
Date: 28 May 2002 15:57:24 +0200

Hi,

I sent this on Friday, but it doesn't seem to have hit the list.
Sorry if you receive this twice.

In the FreeType 2 backend for XFree86, I am using a number of internal
interfaces.  I would be very grateful if you could consider including
them or interfaces with the same functionality in a future release of
FreeType.

A sample implementation (not one that I particularly recommend, and
one that will most definitely not satisfy your high standards, but one
that temporarily satisfies my needs) is available in

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/fthack.c
  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/fthack.h

Thanks a lot,

                                        Juliusz

PS: Keith, if you need further extensions for Xft, speak now, or
    forever...

/* Returns true if the font prefers to be indexed by name.  Currently
   returns true for Type 1 fonts, which is suboptimal in the presence
   of OpenType/CFF fonts converted from Type 1.  But what else can be
   done? */

int FT_Face_Prefers_Names(FT_Face face);

/* Returns a human-readable name for the font technology used by the
   font.  The name should be suitable for use as an X11 FONT_TYPE
   property. */

char *FT_Face_Font_Type(FT_Face face);

typedef enum {
    ft_type1_info = 0,

    type1_max
} FT_Type1_Tag;

/* Returns a table from a Type 1 font, NULL otherwise. */

void *FT_Get_Type1_Table(FT_Face face, FT_Type1_Tag tag);