Re: [Freetype] Any other ways for building FreeType2?

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Any other ways for building FreeType2?
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:25:59 +0200

Hello Kim,

address@hidden wrote:
Hello.

I'm Kim Do Yeon, working for Samsung Electronics.

Would it be all rigt if I asked the questions as follows about FreeType2.
There are a few questions in building the FreeType2.
I followed the documentation notes for the building, which detects the platform
automatically,
then builds the library. and the demo programs in ft2demos-2.1.2 work well.
But the problem is when I need to execute the test programs on the other
platform, After
building them under the previous platform(differnt).
I know If I built the Freetype2 on the target platform, there would be no
problem.
but there is a reason that I have to compile on the diffrent platform then
execute on the target platfrom.
I just tried to change gcc with target-arch-dependent gcc..but I found that It
did not work as I expected.
Maybe There must be somewhat faults in modifying Makefiles...
It's somewhat difficult to change the complicated makefiles for the person who
faces the FreeType2 for the
first time.
So, Could you suggest the simple way just for Compiling a test program using
the FreeType2 library?
Suppose that threre is just a test program like "test.c", which reads Font
Files and a character, then transfer
the character into the related bitmap.
What is the easiest way to make the execution file for the test.c, just for the
particular platform.

It would be a great help for me, If you give me the suggestion for the
questions.

There are really several ways to build FreeType:

  - on Unix, use ./configure --cross-compiling-options; make;
    You'll need GNU Make (exclusively !!)

  - on other platforms, or even on Unix, you can still use the built-in
    build system, which uses GNU Make too. To support a new platform,
    you'll probably need to add "builds/<yoursystem>/detect.mk"
    as well as "builds/compiler/<yourtoolset>.mk", but you'll need
    to study other templates/examples to understand how to do that

  - another way is to use FTJam (see www.freetype.org/jam/jam.html).
    you have also the option to _read_ the Jamfiles (and Jamrules)
    to understand how the build is done if you don't want to use
    this tool...

  - finally, you can build it "by hand", as described in "docs/BUILD"

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

Best Regards
Kim Do Yeon