[Freetype] Help with font improvement

From: James K. Wiggs
Subject: [Freetype] Help with font improvement
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:41:15 -0800 (PST)

 Folks,

   I'm still in the process of searching through the archives of the
mailing lists, but I wanted to get a note out.  I'm trying to get some
decent-looking fonts displaying in Mozilla and OpenOffice on a couple
of workstations running Redhat 7.3; I've put up some information and
some screenshots of "before and after" installing freetype and the
MSFT core fonts packages as described on corefonts.sourceforge.net; I
will be posting a more detailed note later, but wanted to pass along
the URL:

http://www.wiggs.org/debug/xfonts/herald/stage1.html

   The upshot is that I'm having a lot of trouble getting things
looking decent, particularly in those two applications.  The info
in the Font Beautification HOWTO hasn't proven to be of much use,
and in fact the reason this machine has RedHat 7.3 on it instead
of Debian 3.0 is that we completely reinstalled the box in hopes
that there would be some better font handling in RedHat, after
having gone through the advice in that and several other docs.  In
particular, Antialiasing only seems to make the fonts "blurry;"
it doesn't make them significantly easier on the eyes.  Can anyone
suggest a reference that does a better job than the FB HowTo?

thanks,
Jim Wiggs

James Wiggs
Email: address@hidden