Re: [Freetype] Help with font improvement

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Help with font improvement
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:58:43 +0300

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 19:57, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
|  JW>    The upshot is that I'm having a lot of trouble getting things
|  JW> looking decent,
|
|  It is possible that RH builds FreeType with the bytecode interpreter
|  disabled (can anyone confirm this?).  You could try recompiling on
|  your own the FreeType shared library and the ``freetype'' XFree86
|  module.

AFAIK, all major distributions shipr FreeType with Bytecode Interpreter
*disabled* (due to legal reasons).

That's why there were a lot of efforts to get auto-hinter working, and PS
Type1 fonts - looking nice (native PS hinter/AA renderer).
So far, I am quite happy with Look'n'Feel of PS Type1 fonts in Freetype 2.1.3
(and XFree86 CVS).
TrueType fonts are nightmare, and they Should Die, IMHO.