Re: [Freetype] Help with font improvement

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Help with font improvement
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:37:31 +0300

On Thursday 19 December 2002 21:59, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

|  VP> BTW: when we would get rid of .pcf and .bdf fonts in X?
|
|  You're not reading enough mailing lists ;-)

I was rebuilding almost everything within last (and this) week - started from
XFree86, than GTK 2.1.2/GNOME-2.1.3 (it came this way...) and later Qt 3.1
and KDE 3.1
Now my system is more fresh than RedHat's Rawhide and Mandrake's Cooker (I
used lastest-greatest from both), and KMail is up and running, so I can read
lists again :-))

|                                          Juliusz
|  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
|  From: Juliusz Chroboczek <address@hidden>
|  Subject: Re: [Fonts]Will 4.3.0 get rid of 8bit bitmap fonts?
|  To: address@hidden
|  Date: 19 Dec 2002 18:59:41 +0100

[...]

NOTE:  it would be a pity to miss next XFree86 release (4.3.0)
>From my experience, most Linux users update XFree86 together with "next
distribution release". And stick with this system for year or so.
Therefor, XF-4.3.0 would be used up to the end of 2003 (and most likely, in
first half of 2004, too, as XFree86-5.0.0 wouldn't be ready in one year time)
This mean, we would have to live with BDF/PCF for another year, or 1.5
years...
Current packaging of BDF/PCF fonts in XFree86 CVS is just waste of disk space,
and bandwidth to download.  This should be corrected ASAP, IMHO.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released