Re: [Freetype] XFree86 4.2.x compilation + FreeType2 on RH

From: Andre Costa
Subject: Re: [Freetype] XFree86 4.2.x compilation + FreeType2 on RH
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:28:18 -0200

Hi Vadim,

thks for replying. My comments below.

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:42:00 +0300
Vadim Plessky <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do you compile XFree86 with Xft2 support (Xft2 was released together
> with FontConfig 2.x) and FontConfig?

Uh... really can't say =T Both packages are installed here, although I
am using different (older) versions than you are:

~ rpm -qa | grep fontconfig
fontconfig-2.0-3
fontconfig-devel-2.0-3

~ rpm -qa | grep Xft
Xft-devel-2.0.0-0.ximian.1
Xft-2.0.0-0.ximian.1

~ rpm -qa | grep freetype
freetype-devel-2.1.2-7
freetype-utils-2.1.2-7
freetype-2.1.2-7

I am using SRPMs from RH, but not from RawHide branch (they're 8.0
SRPMs, I believe).

> Are you sure that XFree86 build uses shared FreeType library (and not
> its own copy)?

No (I am not sure)... I will try to figure it out from the spec files.

> I have installed following packages (self-compiled from Mandrake
> Cooker SRPMs on LM 8.2):
> $ rpm -qa | grep fontconfig
> libfontconfig1-2.1-1mdk
> fontconfig-2.1-1mdk
> libfontconfig1-devel-2.1-1mdk
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep Xft
> libXft2-2.1-2mdk
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep freetype2
> freetype2-2.1.3-2mdk
> freetype2-devel-2.1.3-2mdk
> freetype2-static-devel-2.1.3-2mdk
>
> And I have built XFree86-4.2.99 (4.3.0 branch snapshot) from Rawhide
> SRPM on top of this:
[...]
> Most interesting: all this works!.. :-)

Cool! =) I hope this works for me, too. I tried to find SRPMs for
version 4.2.99 on rawhide.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS ,
but they weren't there. Could you please point me to the right place?

> But I have to modify XFree86.spec file slightly.

Mmmh... what kind of modification? I am about to dive into 4.2.1 spec
file to understand what could be going wrong, maybe you could spare me
of this boring task ;) (please feel free to send me the original spec
file and diff output between that and your own version if you think it
will be easier)

> Try Rawhide SRPM. You will get latest XFree86, with enhanced RENDER
> extension (ver 0.8) and X servers supporting anti-aliased trapezoids
> :-)

Sounds very good, I am looking forward to trying them. So, where can I
find them? As I said, rawhide.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS
was a no-go... =(

Thks again.

Best,

Andre