RE: [Freetype] VxWorks(WIndML) Version

From: Chris Hertrich
Subject: RE: [Freetype] VxWorks(WIndML) Version
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:59:16 -0500

Somesh -

We have done all the integration work into WindMl within our eTTF product
for VxWorks applications.

Chris

eTTF is a font driver developed for WindML 3.0 that seamlessly integrates
the Freetype 2.1.3 font engine.  Since the WindML 3.0 API has been completed
adhered to, eTTF can be installed into any WindML 3.0 build.  Moreover, all
existing applications, including packages operating on top of WindML such as
Jworks, will continue to work as before.

Caching

eTTF uses two forms of caching: UGLBits and Image Cache.  UGLBits is a PSA
developed custom caching module for Freetype.  UGLBits was derived from the
Freetype stock caching module Sbits.  UGLBits caches non-rotated,
non-scaled, device dependent bitmaps (DDBs) under 48 pixels (both height and
width).  The Image Cache, standard with Freetype, is used in eTTF to cache
glyph data greater than or equal to 48 pixels (height or width).  In
addition, if rotation or scaling is desired, the Image Cache caching mode is
used.

Performance and memory usage

UGLBits yields the best performance since the DDB data is cached.  Once the
glyph has been cached itÂ’s simply a matter of fetching and blitting it to
the display.  The larger the glyph, the more memory is used.  Using the
anti-aliasing feature requires additional memory to cache the monochrome
mask and device independent bitmap data.  This is over and above the
transparent DDB that is created from these two components.

Image Cache is the slower of the two caching modes.  Since only the vector
data is cached, the driver must generate a device independent bitmap (DIB)
on each glyph request.  The DIB must then be converted to the appropriate
DDB format.  Once the DDB has been blitted to the display it is freed.

Product Highlights
WindML font driver for the FreeType engine, including:

Configurable in the WindML GUI
Supports font file compression
Anti-aliasing
Rotation
Scaling
Autohinting
Small Driver Footprint: 15K max
Small Engine Footprint: 373K with all modules included, smaller based on
configuration
Source code

Supported Font Types:
TrueType