Re: [Freetype] Mac OS X Project Builder

From: Wenlin Institute
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Mac OS X Project Builder
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:46:39 -0700

At 9:53 AM +1200 4/9/03, Henry Maddocks wrote:
I have created a Project Builder project for Freetype 2.1.4...

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~henryj/code/index.html#FREETYPE

It uses 2.1.4rc2, I'll update it to the final release soon.
Let me know if it's of any use. It builds the static and dynamic libs and I'll add a framework latter. I haven't been able to get dfonts to work yet. Assistance with this would be appreciated.

Henry

Thanks, this is useful. It only needed a little modification to work for me, using Freetype 2.1.4 (not rc2).

First, it was necessary to add "/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon" to the search path.

Second, it was necessary to add these two lines to the file builds/unix/ftsystem.c, before #ifdef HAVE_UNISTD_H:

#include <fcntl.h> /* needed for open() on OS X */
#define HAVE_UNISTD_H /* needed for close() on OS X */

(Probably HAVE_UNISTD_H is supposed to be #defined elsewhere?)

Then it compiled OK, but when linking freetype.a with an application the following error was reported:

libfreetype.a(ftgzip.o) illegal reference to symbol: _inflate defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib

This was solved by changing #define to #undef in this line in ftoption.h:

#undef FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_ZLIB

Now it works great, including dfonts; maybe the trouble Henry had with dfonts was only with rc2.

By the way, at least for Freetype 2.1.0, it wasn't necessary to use the UNIX-specific version of ftsystem.c (builds/unix/ftsystem.c); the generic ANSI one (src/base/ftsystem.c) seems to work fine for OS X. The most obvious difference is functions like ANSI fopen() versus UNIX open(); does anyone know if there's an advantage (such as speed or memory usage) to one or the other?

Tom Bishop

--

Wenlin Institute, Inc.        Software for Learning Chinese
E-mail: address@hidden     Web: http://www.wenlin.com