RE: [Freetype] improving render quality

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Freetype] improving render quality
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:03:16 +0100

Hello Steve,

Well, this is a very subjective statement. Some people will prefer
the left image undoubtedly. I know I do :-)

> Is there any way I can get the FreeType version to look as
> good? Perhaps by tweaking some smoothing options? (I have
> access to the source code)

The best way is the following:

  - disable hinting when loading glyph images (for those who
    didn't realize it, MacOS X doesn't perform hinting at all
    by default !!)

  - filter the resulting image with a convolution kernel
    to make the image sharper / more contrasted if you need

  - don't forget to use gamma-corrected alpha-blending when
    drawing text on your target surfaces.

this should get you very, very close to what MacOS X gives
you. Extra points for finding the ideal convolution kernel
(i.e. fast to implement while giving good quality)

Regards,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
NDS TECHNOLOGIES FRANCE will not therefore be liable for the message if
modified.