Re: [Freetype] Certain characters of pbf fonts don't render?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Certain characters of pbf fonts don't render?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:56:37 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > The name `FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM' (you should actually use the
> > > uppercase variants) makes sense.  It is specific to PostScript
> > > fonts and indicates atmost 256 glyphs in an arbitrary encoding.
> > > And Adobe is the inventor of PostScript...
> >
> > However, IIRC some of the TeX math fonts did not accept
> > FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM.
>
> Example, please.

Don't remember. This is hidden in the current implementation. Just a
moment (comment out reencoding, recompile)...

./dvipng warning: unable to set font encoding FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM for
/sw/tex/teTeX/1.0/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmr8a.pfb

This is not a math font but urw times. The fallback to _STANDARD will
make ligatures disappear. The ligatures are present in the font, they
display fine when I use the proper reencoding.

If I use the TeX "standard" font cmr10 all is well, it accepts
FT_ENCODING_ADOBE_CUSTOM and the ligatures appear.

/JÅ

--
Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions." Now they have two problems.