[Freetype] How to properly render advance of whitespace

From: Eli Schleifer
Subject: [Freetype] How to properly render advance of whitespace
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:51:07 -0800

I am having trouble figuring out how much space to use for the white space in between letters. Intentional white space I mean

I am extracting the outlines of glyphs for a project and the ‘space’ glyph from Arial TTF is coming up with no drawing and advance of 0 which means I end

Up getting no space when I try to render something like

‘A b c d e’

I get

‘Abcde’

Is there some formula for translating average width into the space needed for a white space character?

Thanks

Eli