Re: [Freetype] Windows font renderer driver

From: Steve Hartwell
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Windows font renderer driver
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:35:16 -0800

On Dec 4, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Alexander R. Pruss wrote:
I was wondering if there is any driver that lets Freetype when used on Windows systems to use the Windows TTF renderer as its backend (the way btx2 uses FontFusion). This would let one get TTF hinting without patent problems.

If I understand correctly, you want to use the FreeType 2 API for rendering glyph bitmaps and such, but have it use the native (in this case, MS-Windows) renderer do the work.

Not a bad idea, for some kinds of applications (like mine), but in general, FreeType 2 is an alternative to, not a proxy for, native OS font rendering. Or as an OS implementation layer for glyph rendering; most OSes also support additional important text features such as line layout and measuring, which FreeType 2 does not (yet) support.

So if you're asking whether this work has already been done, no, I don't think so; but if you're volunteering to contribute an MS-Windows' implementation that works, I might be willing to contribute a MacOS X version.

Regards,

Steve Hartwell
http://stevehartwell.home.comcast.net/proj/fontinspector