[Freetype] Re: Retrieving font and glyph hints

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Retrieving font and glyph hints
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:26:51 +0100 (CET)

> for a font analyzing tool, I am looking for a way to retrieve the
> font hints (e.g. PS Type 1 BlueValues) and the glyph hints (e.g. PS
> Type 1 stems) using FreeType.  Looking through the documentation and
> the sources, I could not find a way to get these values.
>
> I can use FreeType's TrueType bytecode interpreter, because I will
> not render the characters to a raster device.  This means that I can
> rely on the hinting coming from the drivers, but auto-hinted fonts
> should work as well.

It's not completely clear to me what you want to do.  The best free
font analyzing tool I'm aware of is ttx (see fonttools.sf.net) which
can handle SFNT-based font formats (including disassembling of
TrueType and CFF formats).  Type 1 fonts can easily be disassembled
with t1disasm.

Currently, there is no interface in FreeType for getting hint data,
and I doubt that it is a good idea to expose this data at all -- it is
simply far too low-level and subject to change if necessary.

    Werner