Re: [ft] Regression in rendering quality with subpixel antialiasing

From: Bernd Schubert
Subject: Re: [ft] Regression in rendering quality with subpixel antialiasing
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:41:51 +0200

Hello David,

thanks for your help.

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 04:09, David Turner wrote:
> Hello Bernd,
>
> it would be nice if you could provide screenshots showing the "regression"
> what I mean is basically showing text rendering "before" the update,
> and another one showing the same text "after" it.

the debian bug report already has some screenshots, here again the links:

http://www.michaelbiebl.de/before.png
http://www.michaelbiebl.de/after.png
http://www.michaelbiebl.de/after-2.png

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi/ooffice_blurry.png?bug=367593;msg=54;att=1

I also just prepared my own snapshots, I think they show the problem even
better:

http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/freetype-snapshots/1-new.png
http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/freetype-snapshots/1-old.png

(usually I'm not using courier-new, but it gives a really good example)

http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/freetype-snapshots/2-new.png
http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/freetype-snapshots/2-old.png

> Also, what are your font preferences ?

Here's my fonts.conf

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintslight</const>