Re: [ft] State of LCD/SubPixel Rendering in FreeType

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft] State of LCD/SubPixel Rendering in FreeType
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:52:18 -0400

I just merged this in (from cvs) and now ft is forcing autohinting for
ttf fonts, even with -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER.

(As a verification, ftview prints out the blue zone computation report
for ttf files on load, whereas it prints that out for type1 files only
if force-autohint is toggled on via the f key.)

I went so far as to add -DTT_USE_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER; that only shows
that -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER was already setting it.

nm(1) on libfreetype.a shows that the functions in ttinterp.c are
included in the library, but something is preventing their use.

Stepping thru ftview(1) in gdb, I find that in:

,----(freetype2/src/base/ftobjs.c line 576-580)
| if ( FT_LOAD_TARGET_MODE( load_flags ) == FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT )
|   load_flags |= FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT;
|
|  if ( face->internal->force_autohint )
|    load_flags |= FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT;
`----

the latter matches and gets called.

So I've now added -UTT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING to CFLAGS,
but that didn't make any difference.

I cannot seem to find a config that does not set force_autohint,
and was forced to comment out the lines quoted above to get the
results I'm used to.

(Forcing autohinting in ftview and fontconfig apps still works, so
commenting out that if only affects the default.)

Did I miss a config option?

Incidently, the blue zone computation report is printed for all apps
using freetype whenever the autohinter is used.  Seems a debug switch
was left on....

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 0xED7DAEA6