Re: [ft] compile freetype with mingw+msys

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] compile freetype with mingw+msys
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:25:57 +0100 (CET)

> I am trying to compile Freetype 2.2.1 with mingw + msys like this:
>
> I use msys console.
> Execute "configure"
> Execute "make"
>
> I read exactly the freetype doc but nothing.
>

> `configure` works without errors but says:
>    platform                    unix
>    compiler                    gcc
>    configuration directory     ./builds/unix
>    configuration rules         ./builds/unix/unix.mk
> My platform is Win32

This is OK, I think -- the difference is mainly in handling `\'
vs. `/' and the name of the object and exe files.  This should be fine.

> ./builds/unix/libtool: cygpath: command not found

Hmm.  Maybe the libtool support for mingw contains bugs...

> libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-mingw32
> shared libraries

This is a known problem and must be fixed manually (basically, you
have to comment some symbols; please check the mailing list for
details).

> lib
> /OUT:/programming/Libraries/freetype-2.2.1/objs/.libs/libfreetype.lib
> [...]

Well, libtool seems indeed to have problems.  I fear that mingw isn't
currently well, as a recent thread in the libtool list shows.  You
might try wgcc (a wrapper for MSVC), available from

  www.sf.net/projects/interix-wgcc

which comes with a patch for libtool.

    Werner