Re: [ft] Carbon-free fonts support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibi

From: Dipsy Po
Subject: Re: [ft] Carbon-free fonts support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 02:19:33 -0800 (PST)

suzuki toshiya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 02:48:26 +0000
> dipsy po <address@hidden> wrote:
>>In case someone has already written the Carbon-free suitcase
>>font support, I would appreciate if you may share your code.
>>I am willing to test and debug it.
>>
>>I hope the freetype developers who are reading this message
>>can consider to implement this feature quickly, as many people
>>will certain be affected by this incompatible Leopard change.
>>(I know  this problem is created by Leopard, not freetype,
>>but we will have to live with it.)
>
> Sorry for your inconvenience. How quickly do you want?
>
> When I've posted the proposal of Carbon-free replacement of
> ftmac.c, I was rewriting all (both of public and internal)
> functions in ftmac.c by POSIX functions. Later I got busy
> and my rewriting is not finished yet. I will do my best but
> I think I cannot have sufficient time until mid of December.
>
> BTW, I don't have Intel Mac in my hand. My friends have
> 64bit PPC Mac and 32bit Intel Mac, but nobody around me has
> 64bit Intel Mac. The trouble you reported (Apache crashed
> by inappropriate calling of CoreFoundation) can be reproduced
> on PPC Mac?

I have tried on both 32bit and 64bit Intel Macs and can reproduce the
problem in both cases. My PPC Macs are too old to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5,
but I think (at least in theory) it is reproducible on any Mac that uses Mac
OS X 10.5 and uses the default Apache/PHP that comes with Mac OS X 10.5.

My users keep asking me when can this issue be fixed. I understand this is
far from trivial and needs time to solve the problem. I am trying an
intermediate solution by modifying the Apache/PHP to use "CGI" mode instead
of the default "libphp5.so" that comes wtih Mac OS X. (In "CGI", there is an
"exec" after the "fork", so the issue does not occur. But CGI is much slower
then SAPI based "libphp5.so", and when the next Apple Update come, it
probably will reset the Apache/PHP back to using "libphp5.so".)

Thanks a lot for your help. I will wait for your code. I think initially, if
you may provide a dfont support that can load all fonts (I think the current
Carbon free dfont can only load the first font), then this may already solve
a lot of problems, as this allows me to map the Arial Bold font to
Helvitica.dfont Bold, etc..

Regards
Dipsy Po