Re: [ft] BDF chars with ENCODING > 65536

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [ft] BDF chars with ENCODING > 65536
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:35:26 -0800

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 08:55 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > In freetype/src/bdf/bdflib.c I see: [...]
> >
> > Which seems to prevent a BDF containing chars with ENCODING values
> > > 65536 from being opened.
>
> This is correct.

The X protocol cannot handle fonts with encoding >= 65536, so I would
not be surprised if other BDF tools had similar restrictions.

> Do you really think that this is of any use today?  There are much
> better font formats than BDF, even for bitmaps!

Bitmaps encapsulated in a TTF file (as SBIT) are more efficient than BDF
or PCF files, along with being more portable and more capable. Someday X
will use this format and deprecate PCF/BDF...

--
address@hidden