Re: [ft] Issues with fonts embedded in PDF

From: Derek B. Noonburg
Subject: Re: [ft] Issues with fonts embedded in PDF
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:55:24 -0800 (PST)

On 29 Jan, George Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 11:18, Derek B. Noonburg wrote:
>> I had another report of this problem a month or two ago.  It seems to be
>> a bug in FontForge.  In that case, someone was converting metafont fonts
>> to TrueType, using mftrace, which uses FontForge.
>
>> If you've already tried the latest version of FontForge, I would suggest
>> reporting the bug to them.  Please feel free to forward this message,
>> and they're welcome to contact me if they have questions on the info
>> above.
> Um... how does fontforge enter the picture in this problem? FontForge
> doesn't generate pdf files (well, not beyond font samples). If you have
> a fontforge bug, please explain it in greater detail.

The original email (not sure if you saw it, sorry) said that the fonts
were converted from OTF to TrueType using FontForge.

In the earlier bug report, someone was using mftrace to convert
MetaFonts to TrueType.  According to the mftrace web page, it uses
FontForge to generate TTF output.

TrueType fonts can be embedded directly in PDF files, so my assumption
was that the TTF error was being introduced by FontForge.

But it looks like both cases were also using fop as the last stage (to
actually generate the PDF file), so the bug may actually have been in
fop.

Jeremias - can you look at this?  I know you found one bug in fop
yesterday (regarding the numTables problem).  I'm wondering if the other
bug (invalid table directory entry - all zeros other than the tag) is
also in fop.

- Derek