Re: [ft] freetype universal on Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] freetype universal on Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 02:24:23 +0900

Dear Ryan,

Sorry for your (and MacPorts project people's) inconvenience.
I'm current maintainer of MacOS specific part of FreeType.

On Sat, 17 May 2008 05:03:33 -0500
Ryan Schmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
>The problem is that I cannot build a universal binary of freetype
>(2.3.5) when running on a Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC machine. I believe
>this is because freetype is trying to link with /usr/lib/
>libSystem.B.dylib even when cross-compiling for Intel. This doesn't
>work because on a Mac OS X 10.4 PowerPC machine, /usr/lib/
>libSystem.B.dylib only contains PowerPC code.

I see. Mainly I use PowerBook G4 and I had experienced that.
The installation of universal binary SDK for Mac OS X 10.4
does not integrate its content with the system libraries.

>However freetype doesn't seem to be making use of the sysroot in this
>case. Can you help me make freetype use the sysroot, or think of
>another solution? Thanks.

I will update configure script to support sysroot, but I
want to ask 2 questions to automate it. Please give me
your comment.

1. What is standard/popular method to specify the
   architechtures to be included in the binary?

   You mentioned the method "-isysroot xxx -arch xxx -arch yyy ..."
   is used in MacPorts, I have to update configure script
   to extract the list of architechture from CFLAG option.
   Is there any other popular method to be supported?

2. Carbon-dependent API should be consistent among the
   architechtures included in the universal binaries?

   libSystem.B.dylib of SDK 10.4u includes all 4
   architectures ppc|ppc64|i386|x86_64, but
   CoreServices & ApplicationServices (frameworks
   required by QuickDraw/ATS-related functions in
   ftmac.c) includes only 2 architectures ppc|i386.

   If a consistency of APIs in universal binary is
   important, ftmac.c should be disabled on all
   architechtures, when the list of architechture
   includes ppc64 or x86_64. The features of
   universal binary is less than the prebuilt library
   libfreetype.6.3.dylib in SDK 10.4u (it includes
   only ppc & i386, no ppc64, no x86_64). I'm afraid
   such incompatibility makes people confused.
   However, I'm not sure if building 64bit binaries
   by SDK 10.4u is popular /or not.

Regards,
mpsuzuki