Re: [ft] Questions with freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Questions with freetype
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:16:23 +0100 (CET)

> 1) What values should I use for FT_Stroke_Set so that they match the
> way FT2 renders glyphs normally?

This is not possible.  The stroker broadens the outline, while during
normal rendering the outline gets filled.

> (I tried finding this out on my own, but it seems FT2 doesn't use
> FT_Stroker internally).

Why should FreeType use it internally?

> 3) Stroking glyphs is apparently a LOT easier than what I (and
> others on this thread) thought. Less than 10 lines of code!  I
> looked exactly for such a function, yet I didn't find (or didn't
> understand!) FT_Glyph_Stroke, even though the docs are pretty clear.
> I wonder why?

Do you really expect that I speculate on your mental state? :-)

To be serious: Can you think of a reason why you haven't found it in
the docs?  Terminology problems?  Bad organization?

> Are there other complicated aspects/cases to getting the stroked glyph
> outline that FT_Glyph_Stroke doesn't cover? (obviously for embedded
> bitmaps...)

I'm not aware of *fundamental* problems.  You get bad results if the
strokes become too broad.

> 4) The ft2demos seem to be an EXCELLENT resource for answering lots of
> questions the tutorials don't cover.  I had the impression they only
> implement what is explained in the tutorials.

Oh!  I would have never come to that conclusion.  Actually, I consider
the programs in the ft2demos bundle -- especially ftview -- as a kind
of `reference implementation', which is neither very fast nor very
effective, but which demonstrates the basic usage of the library.

> You should add something to that effect at the end of the tutorials?
> (step 3).

Can you contribute a patch which does this?

    Werner