Re: [ft] German Letters with FT_Load_Char

From: Adam Twardoch
Subject: Re: [ft] German Letters with FT_Load_Char
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:43:00 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> By "Unicode character codes", do you mean UTF-16 or UTF-32?
>
> UTF-32.
>
>> Is the FreeType API designed to work with UTF-32 directly?
>
> Yes.

Thanks, that makes it very clear. I've been seeing many developers who
try to adopt Unicode fail at the attempt to deal with UTF-32, UTF-16LE,
UTF-16BE and UTF-8. I would recommend to avoid underspecified
terminology such as "Unicode strings" or "Unicode character codes" in
all documentation because they only specify the general principle of
encoding text but don't tell the developer the exact storage format. I
recommend to replace it with more specific terms such as "Unicode UTF-32
strings" or "Unicode UTF-32 character codes" when applicable.

After all, UTF-8 strings are also "Unicode strings" -- they are just
stored in a different format than UTF-32 strings.

Best,
Adam

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

The illegal we do immediately.
The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
(Henry Kissinger)