Re: [ft] MSYS, AF_SCRIPT_LATIN2 undeclared here (not in a function)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] MSYS, AF_SCRIPT_LATIN2 undeclared here (not in a function)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:46:11 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm attempting to compile freetype 2.3.9 under MSYS on windows XP
> (MinGW) I'm using scons build system, and I has followed the
> instructions in CUSTOMIZE file, for a flat filesystem build.  I've
> copied all the .h and .c files into the single directory, and copied
> the include/ directory there two.

But you are apparently compiling too much files...

> When it gets to compile aflatin2.c, I receive:
>
> gcc -o aflatin2.c -c -Iinclude aflatin2.c
> aflatin2.c:2278: error: 'AF_SCRIPT_LATIN2' undeclared here (not in a
> function)
> aflatin2.c:2278: error: initializer element is not constant
> aflatin2.c:2278: error: (near initialization for 'af_latin2_script_class.
> script')

... in particular, you shouldn't compile this file directly.  Instead,
as described in INSTALL.ANY, you should compile autofit.c, which
includes aflatin2.c -- but only if the macro FT_OPTION_AUTOFIT2 is
defined.  And exactly this macro also protects the definition of
the AF_SCRIPT_LATIN2 enumeration value.

If you really want to compile file by file, not using autofit.c (this
is equivalent to a `make multi' build), you should check the list of
files in the corresponding `rules.mk' helper file.  For example, the
`autofit' module gives

  AUTOF_DRV_SRC := $(AUTOF_DIR)/afangles.c \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afcjk.c    \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afdummy.c  \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afglobal.c \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afhints.c  \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afindic.c  \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/aflatin.c  \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afloader.c \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afmodule.c \
                   $(AUTOF_DIR)/afwarp.c

As can be seen, aflatin2.c is not part of the list.  Admittedly, the
whole contents of aflatin2.c could be protected by FT_OPTION_AUTOFIT2
to avoid the problem you've experienced, but the current status of the
file is experimental, which is the reason of not being fully
integrated into the build system.

    Werner