Re: [ft] Font-Metrics, FreeType and Qt.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Font-Metrics, FreeType and Qt.
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 06:57:36 +0200 (CEST)

> What is an sfnt wrapper.
>
> I see reference to this acronym in many places on the web, but none
> of them define it.

A google search leads you, among others, to the OpenType
specification:

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otff.htm

To say it with other words: SFNT is a generic font wrapper format
which can contain different font formats.  For example, both TrueType
and CFF fonts can be represented in SFNT format; the former uses
second order, the latter third order Bezier curves.

Compare this to the various Video wrapper formats like AVI which can
contain zillions of different Video codecs.

>> contain at least three different values that can be used for
>> vertical line spacing. The three different values have slightly
>> different meanings and can lead to wildly different line spacings.
>
> Three different values ?

George talks about SFNT, not about FreeType.  Here is a reference to
the Vertical Metrics How-To which hopefully explains the problem:

  http://typophile.com/node/13081?

     Werner