[ft] How to get correct bitmap

From: samaram s
Subject: [ft] How to get correct bitmap
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:29:29 -0500

Hi,

I am trying with the example1 from the tutorial and learning with it how to use the freetype API's. Thankful to all the team who developed a wonderful application.

I am confused with the bitmap buffer that i am getting,
Here is the code.(Same as example1 code)

#define WIDTH   100
#define HEIGHT  500

void
draw_bitmap( FT_Bitmap*  bitmap,
             FT_Int      x,
             FT_Int      y)
{
  FT_Int  i, j, p, q;
  FT_Int  x_max = x + bitmap->width;
  FT_Int  y_max = y + bitmap->rows;
  FILE *fp;
  printf("X  is %d\n",x);
  printf("Y is %d\n",y);
  printf("Bitmap width is %d\n",bitmap->width);
  printf("Bitmap rows is %d\n",bitmap->rows);
  for ( i = x, p = 0; i < x_max; i++, p++ )
  {
    for ( j = y, q = 0; j < y_max; j++, q++ )
    {
      if ( i < 0      || j < 0       ||
           i >= WIDTH || j >= HEIGHT )
        continue;

      image[j][i] |= bitmap->buffer[q * bitmap->width + p];
     }

}
}
Here is my show_image()

void
show_image(  FT_Bitmap*  bitmap )
{
  int  i, j;

  for ( i = 0; i < HEIGHT; i++ )//HEIGHT
  {
    for ( j = 0; j < WIDTH; j++ )

     if( image[i][j] < 128)
       putchar('.');
     else
       putchar('*');

   putchar( '\n' );
}
}

These are my output values,
Text C
Bitmap Left 10
Bitmap Top 314
X  is 10
Y is 186
Bitmap width is 11
Bitmap rows is 12

When i tried converting a glyph C into bitmap,I can able to get the character in bitmap but,i couldnt able to understand why image[i][j]<128 we are printing "." (a dot)
Is there anyway i can just get the character bitmap ...nothing else with that.
Also,
Why is the charater coming somewhere in the middle of a box.
i mean given a resolution 100*500 screen it is appearing somewhere down.Why is it so?

I have attached my output in a PNG file.How can i understand the bitmap buffer?

Thanks a lot

-sam