Re: [ft] Existence of Autohinter in the Future ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Existence of Autohinter in the Future ?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:12:49 +0100 (CET)

>> In case the unhinted metrics for Times New Roman and Liberation Serif
>> are identical, they will stay identically on paper, regardless whether
>> you use the autohinter or the bytecode interpreter for rendering
>> glyphs on screen.  In case you get different results, something is
>> severely broken in your word processing application.
>
> Should Firefox then with "Autohint true" display for example the
> line "Test Test Test Test" in Times New Roman and Liberation Serif
> on the screen the same size or not?  So that it wordwraps at the
> exact same character?

Firefox is not a word processor.  It's a *screen* application.
Consequently, you intentionally won't get identical results for Times
and Liberation since Firefox tries to display the text as good as
possible, and this demands screen metrics which are dependent on the
resolution and on the used hinting engine.  Maybe if you try the
`print document' option you get identical results, but I wouldn't be
suprised if this is not the case.

I was rather talking about programs like OpenOffice or XeTeX.

    Werner