[ft] Differences in behavior between compiled libraries

From: Jason Owen
Subject: [ft] Differences in behavior between compiled libraries
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 01:21:48 -0800

I spent a good part of today trying to figure out why the gnuwin32
version of FreeType rendered text differently than the Debian version.
 Warner's [1] and James's [2] emails "Re: [ft] how to build freetype
so that it matches 1 of 2 observed behaviours" [1] helped me figure
out what was different; namely, that they were compiled with different
DEFINEs set in ftoption.h.  Compiling FreeType with the same options
fixed my problem.  Does this come up often enough that it would be
worth adding to the FAQ?

I would suggest something along the lines of the following added to
the "Compilation & Configuration" section:

Why does FreeType render differently on different platforms?

Different distributions compile FreeType with different options.  The
developer version of a distribution's FreeType package, which is
needed to compile your program against FreeType, includes the file
ftoption.h.  Compare each platform's copy of ftoption.h to find the
differences.

Thanks for a great piece of software!
-Jason-

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype/2011-02/msg00007.html