Re: [ft] [ft-devel] FreeType License and patents

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] FreeType License and patents
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:11:39 +0100

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:

But its GPLv2 only :-(

Apache 2 is GPLv3 compatible.

So I'd suggest either using Apache 2, or using FreeType License 1.1
and GPLv2-or-later.

Apache 2 or GPLv2-or-later have the same problems: they require changing the license of existing code, i.e. contacting all copyright holders for permission, getting permissions from all of them or rewrite their contribution from scratch.

I think it's easier/faster/simpler to start adding a new clause to cover any future contribution. The resulting package in its entirety would be covered by the 1.1 license, because the 1.0 one doesn't mandate restrictions on what you can do with the rest of the code (unlike the GPL).

One option doesn't prevent the other, they just require different time frames.

--
Cheers
Dave