[ft] Question: linker errors when building freetype for iOS in Xcode

From: Jeffrey Sheen
Subject: [ft] Question: linker errors when building freetype for iOS in Xcode
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 18:40:06 +0100

Hi there,

I hope this is the correct mailing group to field my question to. Please excuse me if it is not. I have tried multiple resources to resolve my issue before contacting you, including StackOverflow posts, the freetype-ios git repository, and Googling individual web page articles.

My aim is to build a linkable iOS freetype2 library in Xcode, and then be include it in other Xcode iOS projects.

I successfully downloaded the freetype-ios git repository as a starting point, and modified the ".c" modules selected for compilation in the XCode project's Build Phases (as per "INSTALL.ANY"). I also modified the "ftoption.h" header file in the "include" directory, disabling any options related to features that I would not be using.

This Xcode project built correctly, and I was able to copy the product into another XCode project. I also added freetype2's "include" directory to my other project's "Header Search Paths" variable in "Build Settings".

However, when trying to build the dependent Xcode project, I get the following linker errors:

Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
"_FT_Bitmap_Convert", referenced from:
_tt_face_load_sbit_image in libFreetype2.a(sfnt.o)
"_FT_Bitmap_Done", referenced from:
_tt_face_load_sbit_image in libFreetype2.a(sfnt.o)
"_FT_Bitmap_New", referenced from:
_tt_face_load_sbit_image in libFreetype2.a(sfnt.o)
"_FT_Gzip_Uncompress", referenced from:
_sfnt_init_face in libFreetype2.a(sfnt.o)
"_bdf_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_pcf_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_pfr_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_psaux_module_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_t1_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_t1cid_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_t42_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
"_winfnt_driver_class", referenced from:
_ft_default_modules in libFreetype2.a(ftinit.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386

I notice that these errors contain the names of modules that I have disabled, by removing their respective ".c" files from compilation in the original "freetype2-ios" Xcode project.

Was there some other configuration required in that Xcode project, in order to remove references to these disabled modules?

Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks for looking.

Jeff.