Re: [ft] On centering glyphs around vertical baseline

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] On centering glyphs around vertical baseline
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:58:23 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for the late response.

> In vertical rendering mode of freetype, glyphs are placed
> center-aligned around vertical baseline, which however seems to be a
> bug.

  https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/issues/34

I've now looked up the discussion in the bug tracker, and I would like
to know why you think that there is a bug.  While the behaviour is
indeed different, I like centered glyphs more...

> [...] Attached image file is the result of comparison.  As shown in
> the image, only freetype puts glyphs center-aligned.  So there seems
> to be a bug in freetype's vertical rendering mode.

The basic question is whether the font contains information on the
vertical baseline – this is something I haven't seen mentioned
anywhere.  However, in case it is up to the rendering engine to select
the default position of glyphs in vertical typesetting, I second
Behdad that changing FreeType just for the sake of optical
compatibility is not helpful.

    Werner