Re: [ft] Handling an embedded CID font using Freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Handling an embedded CID font using Freetype
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:22:33 +0100 (CET)

>> It would be nice if someone could add parsing of CMap files for CFFs
>> to FreeType, similar to attaching AFM files to Type 1 fonts...
>
> The problem would be that you can compose several CIDFonts with a
> CMap to produce a composite font (PDF specifically restricts it to
> one descendant CIDFont, but that's specific to PDF).
>
> I'm not sure if it would be possible to handle that case in
> Freetype.

My suggestion is to handle only the simplest case, i.e., one CMap
file.  FreeType shouldn't become a replacement for ghostscript :-)

Regarding composite font support: It would be nice if FreeType
supported that also, but not via CIDFonts but rather the higher-level
XML stuff from Microsoft.  If someone is going to add SVG image
support (for emojis and the like), we need an external XML parser
anyway...

    Werner