Re: [ft] Enabling Subpixel Rendering On freetype-2.7.1

From: Gordon Dickens
Subject: Re: [ft] Enabling Subpixel Rendering On freetype-2.7.1
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:15:59 -0400

Hi Werner,

Thanks for the reply.

I am running KDE Plasma 5 on OpenSUSE 42.2 and I have been enabling subpixel rendering like this for the past 6 years since 2011 with many versions of freetype2 and the fonts have always been rendered the same regardless of the version of freetype2 that I was using.. Then, with freetype-2.7.1 the font rendering changed. I believe that the rendering differences are most significant in GTK applications. Again, I have been enabling subpixel rendering using a patch that sets the following in ftoption.h:

#define FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING

Attached are two images of the Arial font in Thunderbird rendered with freetype-2.6.3 and freetype-2.7.1 and the hintstyle set to hintmedium. You will see that the fonts with 2.7.1 are rendered more bolder with thicker fonts than with 2.6.3. Again, over the last 6 years, I've never noticed the rendering change from one freetype version to another. However, either something changed with 2.7.1 or I am not doing something correctly.

In the past, prior to freetype-2.7.1, the fonts have been rendered identical to MS Clear Type for any given font and application such as the Arial font with Thunderbird. However, that is no longer the case as can be seen in the attachments.

Let me know if I need to provide any other details regarding my installation.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Gordon